Friday, May 22, 2009
Star Trek 2009--Not just for Trekkies
I have never seen a full episode of ANY of the Star Trek entries. I only know Spock and Sulu and whatever the captain's name is because...well, how can you not? Two of those three characters were played by really famous actors and one was played by a guy who famously came out of the closet a few years ago. Either way, this new movie is the bomb. The action was realistic (sometimes cgi stuff makes me laugh). The plot was believable and the acting was very campy but that was the point, I think. The guy who played the Enterprise's doctor (he can also be seen in the sublime Bourne Supremacy) was hilarious. His delivery of what I understand to be a classic Trekkie thing "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a blah blah blah" (not sure how the actual line goes) got a roar from the audience. This was one of those flicks where people openly cheered and clapped during the final credits--while that reaction is a bit cornball to me, it was well deserved if I were really one of those nerdy people who claps at the end of a movie. I even found myself practicing my Vulcan "live well and prosper" hand gesture near the end of the movie. I hope no one saw me. Eh, who the hell cares...I am now a convert and I'm damn proud of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment